§ 29.1-710. Exemption from numbering requirements
A motorboat shall not be required to be numbered under this chapter if it is:
1. A motorboat which has been awarded a number pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state if the boat has been within the Commonwealth for less than ninety consecutive days.
2. A motorboat from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of the Commonwealth.
3. A motorboat which is used in a governmental function by the United States, a state or a subdivision of the state.
4. A ship's lifeboat.
5. A vessel which has a valid marine document issued by the Bureau of Customs of the United States government or any federal agency successor thereto.
6. A racing boat used during an authorized race and during a twenty-four-hour period before and after the race.
7. A motorboat belonging to a class of vessels which has been exempted from numbering by a regulation adopted by the Board after the Board has found that applicable federal law or federal regulation has exempted, or permitted the exemption of, such class of vessels.
8. A motorboat for which (i) a valid temporary registration certificate has been issued by the Department or an authorized agent of the Department, and (ii) an application has been made for a permanent registration and title (if applicable).
(1960, c. 500, § 62-174.7; 1962, c. 626; 1964, c. 654; 1968, c. 659, § 62.1-173; 1972, c. 412; 1987, c. 488; 1995, c. 241.)Sections: Previous 29.1-703.2 29.1-704 29.1-705 29.1-706 29.1-707 29.1-708 29.1-709 29.1-710 29.1-711 29.1-712 29.1-713 29.1-714 29.1-715 29.1-716 29.1-717 Next
Last modified: April 3, 2009