(a) For the purposes of this section, the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) BOARD OF EDUCATION or BOARD. All public county and city boards of education; the Board of Trustees of the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind; the Alabama Youth Services Department School Board in its capacity as the Board of Education for the Youth Services School District; the Board of Directors of the Alabama School of Fine Arts; the Board of Trustees of the Alabama High School of Mathematics and Science; and the Board of Trustees of the Alabama Community College System as applied to two-year postsecondary education institutions.
(2) EXECUTIVE OFFICER. The superintendent of any public county or city school system; the President of the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind; the president of any two-year school or college under the auspices of the State Board of Education; the Executive Director of the Alabama School of Fine Arts; the Superintendent of the Department of Youth Services School District; and the Executive Director of the Alabama High School of Mathematics and Science.
(3) EMPLOYEES. Employees or personnel of the board except for the following:
a. Those employees covered under the Alabama state Merit System.
b. Those employees of the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind who work for the Alabama Industries for the Blind and those satellite employees at its regional centers.
(b) Each board of education, through its executive officer, shall post a notice of vacancy for each vacant personnel position. The notice shall be posted on the board website, at a minimum, or in a conspicuous place at each school campus and worksite, at least seven calendar days before the position is to be filled. In addition, any person or organization, upon request, shall receive electronic notification of personnel vacancies from the executive officer. The notice shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, all of the following:
(1) Job description and title.
(2) Required qualifications.
(3) Salary schedule and amount.
(4) Information on where to submit an application.
(5) Information on any deadlines for applying.
(6) Any other relevant information.
(c) If a personnel vacancy occurs during the time when the schools are in session, the vacancy notice shall be posted not less than seven calendar days before the position is to be filled. All vacancies involving jobs which are supervisory, managerial, or otherwise newly created positions shall nevertheless require posting notices of at least 14 calendar days.
(d) The board may adopt or continue policies which are not inconsistent with this section. The board may adopt policies to ensure the safety and welfare of its students during dire emergency situations, but the posting of a vacancy notice as required in this section shall not be abridged or delayed except in dire emergency circumstances and then delayed only temporarily in order to reasonably meet the conditions of the emergency. The adoption of additional policies shall comply with the requirements and procedures of Section 16-1-30 by all boards defined in this section.
Last modified: May 3, 2021