(a)(1) Six members of the board shall be graduates of an accredited school of veterinary medicine; legal residents of Alabama; currently and validly licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Alabama; actively employed and licensed in the practice of veterinary medicine in the State of Alabama for the five years immediately prior to appointment; and continuing at least 35 hours per week in the practice of veterinary medicine while serving on the board.
(2) One member of the board shall be a licensed veterinary technician.
(3) One member of the board shall be a consumer.
(b) No person who has been appointed to the board shall continue membership on the board if, during the term of his or her appointment, he or she shall have done any of the following:
(1) Transfer his or her legal residence to another state.
(2) Own or be employed by any wholesale or jobbing house dealing in supplies, equipment, or instruments used or useful in the practice of veterinary medicine.
(3) Have his or her license to practice veterinary medicine as a veterinarian or as a licensed veterinary technician rescinded.
(4) Miss three consecutive meetings of the board.
(5) Be guilty of misconduct or gross inefficiency.
(c) The board shall establish procedures for the removal of members who violate one or more of the provisions of subsection (b).
Last modified: May 3, 2021