1000. Definitions. As used in this article: 1. "Amateur" means any participant in a combative sport authorized pursuant to this article who is not receiving or competing for, and who has never received or competed for, any purse, money, prize, pecuniary gain, or other thing of value exceeding seventy-five dollars or the allowable amount established by the authorized amateur sanctioning entity overseeing the competition.
2. "Authorized sanctioning entity" means an entity allowed to oversee and conduct combative sports pursuant to regulations promulgated by the commission.
3. "Combative sport" means any unarmed bout, contest, competition, match, or exhibition undertaken to entertain an audience, wherein the participants primarily grapple or wrestle, or deliver blows of any kind to, or use force in any way to manipulate, the body of another participant, and wherein the outcome and score depend entirely on such activities.
4. "Commission" means the state athletic commission as provided for in section one thousand three of this article, or an agent or employee of the state athletic commission acting on its behalf.
5. "Mixed martial arts" means a combative sport wherein the rules of engagement do not limit the participants to a single, systematic, fighting discipline.
6. "Professional" means any participant in a combative sport authorized pursuant to this article, other than an amateur, who is receiving or competing for, or who has ever received or competed for, any purse, money, prize, pecuniary gain, or other thing exceeding seventy-five dollars in value.
Last modified: February 3, 2019