(1) A student at a state institution of higher education who is a member of the military and who is ordered to federal or state active duty for more than 30 consecutive days has the following rights:
(a) With regard to a course in which the student is enrolled and for which the student has paid tuition and fees, the right to:
(A) Withdraw from the course, subject to the provisions of subsection (2) of this section;
(B) Receive a grade of incomplete and, upon release from active duty, complete the course in accordance with the practice of the state institution of higher education for completion of incomplete courses; or
(C) Continue and complete the course for full credit, subject to the provisions of subsection (3) of this section;
(b) The right to a credit described in ORS 351.644 for all amounts paid for room, board, tuition and fees;
(c) If the student elects to withdraw from the state institution of higher education, the right to be readmitted and reenrolled at the state institution of higher education within one year after release from active duty without a requirement of redetermination of admission eligibility; and
(d) The right to continuation of scholarships and grants awarded to the student that were funded by the state institution of higher education or the Oregon Student Assistance Commission before the student was ordered to active duty.
(2) If the student elects to withdraw from a course under subsection (1)(a)(A) of this section, the state institution of higher education may not:
(a) Give the student academic credit for the course from which the student withdraws;
(b) Give the student a failing grade or a grade of incomplete or make any other negative annotation on the studentís record; or
(c) Alter the studentís grade point average due to the studentís withdrawal from the course.
(3) A student who elects to continue and complete a course for full credit under subsection (1)(a)(C) of this section is subject to the following conditions:
(a) Course sessions the student misses due to active duty shall be counted as excused absences and may not adversely impact the studentís grade for the course or rank in the studentís class.
(b) The student may not be automatically excused from completing course assignments due during the period the student serves on active duty.
(c) A letter grade or a grade of pass may be awarded only if, in the opinion of the teacher of the course, the student completes sufficient work and demonstrates sufficient progress toward meeting course requirements to justify the grade.
(4) The State Board of Higher Education shall adopt rules for the administration of this section.
(5) As used in this section, ďmember of the militaryĒ means a person who is a member of:
(a) The Oregon National Guard or the National Guard of any other state or territory; or
(b) The reserves of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard of the United States. [2005 c.170 §5; 2005 c.836 §16]Section: Previous 351.628 351.630 351.633 351.635 351.638 351.640 351.642 351.643 351.644 351.645 351.646 351.647 351.649 351.650 351.653 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008