(1) As used in this section:
(a) “Active member of the Armed Forces of the United States” includes officers and enlisted personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States who:
(A) Reside in this state while assigned to duty at any base, station, shore establishment or other facility in this state;
(B) Reside in this state while serving as members of the crew of a ship that has an Oregon port or shore establishment as its home port or permanent station; or
(C) Reside in another state or a foreign country and establish Oregon residency by filing Oregon state income taxes no later than 12 months before leaving active duty.
(b) “Armed Forces of the United States” includes:
(A) The Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard of the United States;
(B) Reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard of the United States; and
(C) The National Guard of the United States and the Oregon National Guard.
(c) “Dependent children” includes any children of an active member of the Armed Forces of the United States who:
(A) Are under 18 years of age and not married, otherwise emancipated or self-supporting; or
(B) Are under 23 years of age, unmarried, enrolled in a full-time course of study in an institution of higher learning and dependent on the member for over one-half of their support.
(2) Active members of the Armed Forces of the United States and their spouses and dependent children shall be considered residents of this state for the purpose of admission and for the purpose of determining fees and tuition to be paid by such individuals while attending any educational institution in this state that is under the control of the State Board of Higher Education.
(3) The State Board of Higher Education may contract with the Armed Forces of the United States to furnish educational service in Oregon institutions to active members of the Armed Forces of the United States.
(4) The State Board of Higher Education shall determine the number of such students that should be accepted and shall make final decisions on admission of individual applicants.
(5) Students attending Oregon institutions under contracts with the Armed Forces of the United States under this section shall pay fees and tuition customarily charged Oregon students.
(6) Payments made by the Armed Forces of the United States under such contracts shall be deposited in the State Treasury and credited to the accounts of the State Board of Higher Education in the same manner that fees and tuition payments for resident students are deposited and credited. [1987 c.162 §7; 1989 c.264 §3; 2003 c.242 §1]Section: Previous 351.627 351.628 351.630 351.633 351.635 351.638 351.640 351.642 351.643 351.644 351.645 351.646 351.647 351.649 351.650 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008