(1) Any person who proposes to construct a transmission line in excess of 230,000 volts capacity that is not otherwise under the jurisdiction of the Energy Facility Siting Council shall:
(a) Give public notice of the proposed action at least six months before beginning any process to obtain local permits required for the proposed transmission line. Notification shall be given:
(A) By publication once a week for four consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the county or counties in which the transmission line is to be constructed; and
(B) To the governing bodies and planning directors of cities and counties which are within or partially within the project study area.
(b) Provide an opportunity for public comment on the proposed transmission line and conduct public meetings to review the proposal.
(c) Respond specifically and in writing to local concerns and recommendations regarding the proposed transmission line.
(2) The Director of the State Department of Energy shall establish a committee to include technical experts and members of the public to coordinate public review of a proposed transmission line under subsection (1) of this section when requested to do so by ordinance or resolution of the affected governing body.
(3) At the conclusion of the public review, the committee shall make a summary report to the affected governing body including public concerns and recommendations concerning the proposed transmission line.
(4) The scope of work and cost of conducting the review shall be negotiated between the State Department of Energy and the project sponsor. The negotiated cost shall be paid by the project sponsor.
(5) Subsections (1) to (4) of this section shall not apply to a person who proposes to construct transmission lines entirely within 500 feet of an existing corridor occupied by transmission lines with a capacity in excess of 230,000 volts. [1987 c.200 §2; 1993 c.569 §18]Section: Previous 469.409 469.410 469.420 469.421 469.430 469.440 469.441 469.442 469.445 469.450 469.460 469.470 469.480 469.490 469.500 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008