As used in ORS 702.005 to 702.065, 702.991 and 702.994:
(1) “Agency contract” means an agreement in which a student athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit on behalf of the student athlete a professional sports services contract or an endorsement contract.
(2)(a) “Athlete agent” means an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student athlete to enter into an agency contract. “Athlete agent” includes an individual who represents to the public that the individual is an athlete agent.
(b) “Athlete agent” does not include a spouse, parent, sibling, grandparent or legal guardian of the student athlete or an individual acting solely on behalf of a professional sports team or professional sports organization.
(3) “Athletic director” means an individual responsible for administering the overall athletic program of an educational institution or, if an educational institution has separately administered athletic programs for male students and female students, the athletic program for males or the athletic program for females, as appropriate.
(4) “Contact” means a communication, direct or indirect, between an athlete agent and a student athlete, to recruit or solicit the student athlete to enter into an agency contract.
(5) “Endorsement contract” means an agreement under which a student athlete is employed or receives consideration to use on behalf of the other party any value that the student athlete may have because of publicity, reputation, following or fame obtained because of athletic ability or performance.
(6) “Intercollegiate sport” means a sport played at the collegiate level for which eligibility requirements for participation by a student athlete are established by a national association for the promotion or regulation of collegiate athletics.
(7) “Person” means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, public body, as defined in ORS 174.109, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(8) “Professional sports services contract” means an agreement under which an individual is employed, or agrees to render services, as a player on a professional sports team, with a professional sports organization or as a professional athlete.
(9) “Record” means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(10) “Registration” means registration as an athlete agent pursuant to ORS 702.005 to 702.065, 702.991 and 702.994.
(11) “State” means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(12) “Student athlete” means an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in or may be eligible in the future to engage in any intercollegiate sport. If an individual is permanently ineligible to participate in a particular intercollegiate sport, the individual is not a student athlete for purposes of that sport. [1999 c.1079 §1; 2001 c.300 §80; 2003 c.364 §56; 2005 c.525 §1]Section: 702.005 702.010 702.012 702.017 702.019 702.020 702.022 702.023 702.027 702.030 702.032 702.037 702.042 702.047 702.050 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008