(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, an individual may not act as an athlete agent in Oregon without holding a certificate of registration issued under this section or ORS 702.019.
(2) Before being issued a certificate of registration, an individual may act as an athlete agent in Oregon for all purposes except signing an agency contract, if:
(a) A student athlete or another person acting on behalf of the student athlete initiates communication with the individual; and
(b) Within seven days after an initial act as an athlete agent, the individual submits an application for registration as an athlete agent in Oregon.
(3) An agency contract resulting from conduct in violation of this section is void and the athlete agent shall return any consideration received under the contract.
(4) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (5) of this section, the Department of Education shall issue a certificate of registration to an individual who complies with ORS 702.017 (1) and (2) or whose application has been accepted under ORS 702.017 (3).
(5) The department may refuse to issue a certificate of registration if the department determines that the applicant has engaged in conduct that has a significant adverse effect on the applicant’s fitness to act as an athlete agent. In making the determination, the department may consider whether the applicant has:
(a) Been convicted of a crime that, if committed in Oregon, would be a crime involving moral turpitude or a felony;
(b) Made a materially false, misleading, deceptive or fraudulent representation in the application or as an athlete agent;
(c) Engaged in conduct that would disqualify the applicant from serving in a fiduciary capacity;
(d) Engaged in conduct prohibited by ORS 702.027;
(e) Had a registration or licensure as an athlete agent suspended, revoked or denied or been refused renewal of registration or licensure as an athlete agent in any state;
(f) Engaged in conduct the consequence of which was that a sanction, suspension or declaration of ineligibility to participate in an interscholastic or intercollegiate athletic event was imposed on a student athlete or educational institution; or
(g) Engaged in conduct that significantly adversely reflects on the applicant’s credibility, honesty or integrity.
(6) In making a determination under subsection (5) of this section, the department shall consider:
(a) How recently the conduct occurred;
(b) The nature of the conduct and the context in which it occurred; and
(c) Any other relevant conduct of the applicant.
(7) An athlete agent may apply to renew a registration by submitting an application for renewal in a form prescribed by the department. The application for renewal must be signed by the applicant under penalty of perjury and must contain current information on all matters required in an original registration.
(8) An individual who has submitted an application for renewal of registration or licensure in another state, in lieu of submitting an application for renewal in the form prescribed pursuant to subsection (7) of this section, may file a copy of the application for renewal and a valid certificate of registration or licensure from the other state. The department shall accept the application for renewal from the other state as an application for renewal in Oregon if the application to the other state:
(a) Was submitted in the other state within the preceding six months and the applicant certifies that the information contained in the application for renewal is current;
(b) Contains information substantially similar to or more comprehensive than that required in an application for renewal submitted in Oregon; and
(c) Was signed by the applicant under penalty of perjury.
(9) A certificate of registration or a renewal of a registration is valid for two years.
(10) The department may suspend, revoke or refuse to renew a registration for conduct that would have justified denial of registration under subsection (5) of this section.
(11) The department may deny, suspend, revoke or refuse to renew a certificate of registration or licensure only after proper notice and an opportunity for a hearing. [1999 c.1079 §2; 2005 c.525 §4]Section: Previous 702.005 702.010 702.012 702.017 702.019 702.020 702.022 702.023 702.027 702.030 702.032 702.037 702.042 702.047 702.050 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008