(1) The Department of Transportation, in consultation with other road authorities, shall develop and implement a system of issuing continuous operation variance permits. The system shall allow a person to obtain one permit that is valid for every road authority in whose jurisdiction the person will travel.
(2) The department, in consultation with other road authorities, shall develop standards for terms and conditions of continuous operation variance permits. The standards shall be applicable throughout the state and shall honor size and weight restrictions established by any road authority for highways and structures under its jurisdiction.
(3) If requested to do so by another road authority, the department shall contract with that road authority to allow the authority to distribute permits described in this section. The department may contract with private contractors to distribute permits described in this section.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a road authority other than the department may not issue a continuous operation variance permit for its roads unless the road authority participates in the system developed under subsection (1) of this section.
(5) For purposes of provisions of Oregon Revised Statutes referring to permits issued under ORS 818.200, a permit issued under this section shall be considered a permit issued under ORS 818.200, unless to so consider the permit contradicts a specific provision of this section.
(6) The fee for a permit issued under this section that is valid for travel in more than one road authority jurisdiction shall be an amount determined by the department by rule, not to exceed $8, plus an additional amount to be determined by the department by rule, not to exceed $8, for each jurisdiction in which travel is authorized by the permit. [1999 c.772 §2]Section: Previous 818.120 818.130 818.140 818.150 818.160 818.170 818.200 818.205 818.210 818.220 818.225 818.230 818.235 818.240 818.250 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008