§ 1756. Quorum.
(a) General rule.--A meeting of shareholders of a business corporation duly called shall not be organized for the transaction of business unless a quorum is present. Unless otherwise provided in a bylaw adopted by the shareholders:
(1) The presence of shareholders entitled to cast at least a majority of the votes that all shareholders are entitled to cast on a particular matter to be acted upon at the meeting shall constitute a quorum for the purposes of consideration and action on the matter.
(2) The shareholders present at a duly organized meeting can continue to do business until adjournment notwithstanding the withdrawal of enough shareholders to leave less than a quorum.
(3) If a meeting cannot be organized because a quorum has not attended, those present may, except as otherwise provided in this subpart, adjourn the meeting to such time and place as they may determine.
(4) If a proxy casts a vote or takes other action on behalf of a shareholder on any issue other than a procedural motion considered at a meeting of shareholders, the shareholder shall be deemed to be present during the entire meeting for purposes of determining whether a quorum is present for consideration of any other issue.
(b) Exceptions.--Unless otherwise provided in a bylaw adopted by the shareholders, those shareholders entitled to vote who attend a meeting of shareholders:
(1) At which directors are to be elected that has been previously adjourned for lack of a quorum, although less than a quorum as fixed in this section or in the bylaws, shall nevertheless constitute a quorum for the purpose of electing directors.
(2) That has been previously adjourned for one or more periods aggregating at least 15 days because of an absence of a quorum, although less than a quorum as fixed in this section or in the bylaws, shall nevertheless constitute a quorum for the purpose of acting upon any matter set forth in the notice of the meeting if the notice states that those shareholders who attend the adjourned meeting shall nevertheless constitute a quorum for the purpose of acting upon the matter.
(c) Cross references.--See sections 2523 (relating to quorum at shareholder meetings) and 3134 (relating to quorum at shareholder or member meetings).
(Dec. 19, 1990, P.L.834, No.198, eff. imd.; Dec. 18, 1992, P.L.1333, No.169, eff. 60 days; June 22, 2001, P.L.418, No.34, eff. 60 days; July 9, 2013, P.L.476, No.67, eff. 60 days)
2013 Amendment. Act 67 amended subsec. (a)(4).
1992 Amendment. Act 169 amended subsec. (b).
1990 Amendment. Act 198 amended subsec. (c).
Cross References. Section 1756 is referred to in sections 1504, 2523, 3134 of this title.Section: Previous 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 Next
Last modified: October 8, 2016