§ 7104. Election of an existing business corporation to become a cooperative corporation.
(a) General rule.--Any business corporation not organized on the cooperative principle may become a cooperative corporation for profit under this chapter by:
(1) Adopting a plan of conversion:
(i) providing for the redemption by the corporation of all of its shares, whether or not redeemable by the terms of its articles, if the corporation is to be organized as a nonstock corporation; and
(ii) adjusting its affairs so as to comply with the requirements of this chapter applicable to cooperative corporations.
(2) Filing articles of amendment which shall contain, in addition to the requirements of section 1915 (relating to articles of amendment):
(i) A statement that the corporation elects to become a cooperative corporation.
(ii) The provisions required by section 7102(a) (relating to cooperative corporations generally) to be set forth in the articles of a cooperative corporation.
(iii) If the corporation is to be a nonstock corporation, a statement that the corporation is organized on a nonstock basis.
(iv) Such other changes, if any, that may be desired in the articles.
(b) Procedure.--The plan of conversion of the corporation into a cooperative corporation (which plan shall include the amendment of the articles required by subsection (a)) shall be adopted in accordance with the requirements of Subchapter B of Chapter 19 (relating to amendment of articles) except that:
(1) The holders of shares of every class shall be entitled to vote on the plan regardless of any limitations stated in the articles or bylaws on the voting rights of any class.
(2) The plan must be approved by two-thirds of the votes cast by all shares of each class.
(3) If any shareholder of a business corporation that adopts a plan of conversion into a cooperative corporation objects to the plan of conversion and complies with the provisions of Subchapter D of Chapter 15 (relating to dissenters rights), the shareholder shall be entitled to the rights and remedies of dissenting shareholders therein provided. There shall be included in or enclosed with the notice of the meeting of shareholders called to act upon the plan of conversion a copy or a summary of the plan and a copy of Subchapter D of Chapter 15 and of this subsection.
(4) The plan shall not impose any additional liability upon any existing patron of the business of the corporation, whether or not that person becomes a member of the corporation pursuant to the plan, unless the patron expressly assumes such liability.
(Dec. 19, 1990, P.L.834, No.198, eff. imd.)
1990 Amendment. Act 198 added section 7104.
Cross References. Section 7104 is referred to in sections 351, 1571 of this title.Section: Previous 7101 7102 7103 7104 7105 7106 7107 7111 7112 7121 7122 7123 7124 7125 Next
Last modified: October 8, 2016