§ 7106. Election of an existing nonprofit corporation to become a cooperative corporation.
(a) General rule.--Any nonprofit corporation not organized on the cooperative principle may become a nonprofit cooperative corporation under this chapter by:
(1) Adopting a plan of conversion adjusting its affairs so as to comply with the requirements of this chapter applicable to cooperative corporations.
(2) Filing articles of amendment which shall contain, in addition to the requirements of section 5915 (relating to articles of amendment):
(i) A statement that the corporation elects to become a cooperative corporation.
(ii) The provisions required by section 7102(a) (relating to cooperative corporations generally) to be set forth in the articles of a cooperative corporation.
(iii) Such other changes, if any, that may be desired in the articles.
(b) Procedure.--The plan of conversion of the corporation into a cooperative corporation (which plan shall include the amendment of the articles required by subsection (a)) shall be adopted in accordance with the requirements of Subchapter B of Chapter 59 (relating to amendment of articles) except that:
(1) The members of every class shall be entitled to vote on the plan regardless of any limitations stated in the articles or bylaws, or in a document evidencing membership, on the voting rights of any class.
(2) The plan must be approved by two-thirds of the votes cast by the members of each class.
(3) The plan shall not impose any additional liability upon any existing patron of the business of the corporation, whether or not that person becomes a member of the corporation pursuant to the plan, unless the patron expressly assumes such liability.
(Dec. 19, 1990, P.L.834, No.198, eff. imd.)
1990 Amendment. Act 198 added section 7106.
Cross References. Section 7106 is referred to in section 351 of this title.Section: Previous 7101 7102 7103 7104 7105 7106 7107 7111 7112 7121 7122 7123 7124 7125 Next
Last modified: October 8, 2016