Sec. 39.102. INTERVENTIONS AND SANCTIONS FOR DISTRICTS. (a) If a school district does not satisfy the accreditation criteria under Section 39.052, the academic performance standards under Section 39.053 or 39.054, or any financial accountability standard as determined by commissioner rule, or if considered appropriate by the commissioner on the basis of a special accreditation investigation under Section 39.057, the commissioner shall take any of the following actions to the extent the commissioner determines necessary:
(1) issue public notice of the deficiency to the board of trustees;
(2) order a hearing conducted by the board of trustees of the district for the purpose of notifying the public of the insufficient performance, the improvements in performance expected by the agency, and the interventions and sanctions that may be imposed under this section if the performance does not improve;
(3) order the preparation of a student achievement improvement plan that addresses each academic achievement indicator under Section 39.053(c) for which the district's performance is insufficient, the submission of the plan to the commissioner for approval, and implementation of the plan;
(4) order a hearing to be held before the commissioner or the commissioner's designee at which the president of the board of trustees of the district and the superintendent shall appear and explain the district's low performance, lack of improvement, and plans for improvement;
(5) arrange a monitoring review of the district;
(6) appoint an agency monitor to participate in and report to the agency on the activities of the board of trustees or the superintendent;
(7) appoint a conservator to oversee the operations of the district;
(8) appoint a management team to direct the operations of the district in areas of insufficient performance or require the district to obtain certain services under a contract with another person;
(9) if a district has a current accreditation status of accredited-warned or accredited-probation, fails to satisfy any standard under Section 39.054(e), or fails to satisfy financial accountability standards as determined by commissioner rule, appoint a board of managers to exercise the powers and duties of the board of trustees;
(10) if for two consecutive school years, including the current school year, a district has received an accreditation status of accredited-warned or accredited-probation, has failed to satisfy any standard under Section 39.054(e), or has failed to satisfy financial accountability standards as determined by commissioner rule, revoke the district's accreditation and:
(A) order closure of the district and annex the district to one or more adjoining districts under Section 13.054; or
(B) in the case of a home-rule school district or open-enrollment charter school, order closure of all programs operated under the district's or school's charter; or
(11) if a district has failed to satisfy any standard under Section 39.054(e) due to the district's dropout rates, impose sanctions designed to improve high school completion rates, including:
(A) ordering the development of a dropout prevention plan for approval by the commissioner;
(B) restructuring the district or appropriate school campuses to improve identification of and service to students who are at risk of dropping out of school, as defined by Section 29.081;
(C) ordering lower student-to-counselor ratios on school campuses with high dropout rates; and
(D) ordering the use of any other intervention strategy effective in reducing dropout rates, including mentor programs and flexible class scheduling.
(b) This subsection applies regardless of whether a district has satisfied the accreditation criteria. If for two consecutive school years, including the current school year, a district has had a conservator or management team assigned, the commissioner may appoint a board of managers, a majority of whom must be residents of the district, to exercise the powers and duties of the board of trustees.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 895 (H.B. 3), Sec. 59, eff. June 19, 2009.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1046 (H.B. 1842), Sec. 9, eff. June 19, 2015.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1094 (H.B. 2804), Sec. 17, eff. June 19, 2015.Section: Previous 39.082 39.0821 39.0823 39.0824 39.083 39.085 39.086 39.102 39.103 39.104 39.105 39.106 39.107 39.1071 39.108 Next
Last modified: September 28, 2016