(1) Consolidation proceedings may be initiated by resolution of the governing body of the county or of the most populous city in the county. Within five days after adoption of the resolution a true copy thereof shall be filed with the governing body, other than the adopting governing body, of each city that has any territory within the county and of each county in which such a city has territory.
(2) The proceedings may also be initiated by electors of the county and of the most populous city in the county who reside within or outside of the county, filing with the county clerk of the county a petition signed by a number of such electors equal to six percent of the total number of votes cast in the county for all gubernatorial candidates at the last preceding election at which a Governor was elected for a four-year term.
(3) The form of the petition shall be:
We, the undersigned electors, hereby initiate proceedings for consolidating _____ County, the City of _____, and whatever other cities in the County desire to join in the consolidation. We request that a charter commission be appointed, a charter be prepared, and an election on the consolidation be held, all under the City-County Act of 1971.
(Here follow 20 lines for signatures)
(4) Before the petition is circulated for signatures, a true copy of it shall be filed with the county clerk. No signature on the petition shall be counted unless subscribed thereon and filed with the county clerk within 180 days after the original filing.
(5) Within 15 days after receiving signatures to the petition the county clerk shall verify the signatures. As soon as the county clerk has verified the signatures and whether the number required for the petition have signed, the county clerk shall certify that fact on the petition and file the petition. Within five days after the certification the county clerk shall forward a true copy of the text of the petition and of the certification to the governing body of each city that has any territory within the county and of each county in which such a city has territory.
(6) The date of initiation of the proceedings shall be the date the initiating resolution is adopted or the date that the county clerk certifies that the initiating petition bears the required number of verified signatures. [1971 c.731 §4]
(Commission)Section: Previous 199.531 199.534 199.535 199.540 199.705 199.710 199.715 199.720 199.725 199.730 199.735 199.740 199.742 199.743 199.745 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008