(1) After receiving certification by a county clerk under ORS 267.255 of a petition for withdrawal filed under ORS 267.253, the district board shall conduct a study of the affected area described in the petition. The district board may also conduct an overall study of several affected areas. The study shall consider:
(a) The extent to which residents of the affected area currently use the mass transit services and facilities of the district;
(b) The amount of district revenues raised within the affected area during the last three completed fiscal years of the district, separately identifying the amount of revenues derived from taxes imposed by the district and the amount of revenues derived from other sources;
(c) The history of the mass transit services provided to the affected area;
(d) Whether or when direct service will be provided to the affected area;
(e) The number of previous petitions filed under ORS 267.253 with respect to the affected area or portions thereof; and
(f) The effect of withdrawal of the affected area on the district, including the extent to which taxes imposed by the district in the remaining portions of the district will be increased under ORS 267.260 as a result of the withdrawal of the affected area.
(2) After completion of the study conducted under subsection (1) of this section and the public hearing required under ORS 267.255, but not later than the December 31 next following the date on which the petition was filed with the district board, the district board shall adopt an ordinance withdrawing the affected area from the district or shall adopt a resolution denying the petition for withdrawal.
(3) Notwithstanding ORS 267.207 (3)(b), the district board shall approve withdrawal if:
(a) The district board finds that the use of the mass transit system of the district by residents of the affected area is less than or equal to 30 percent of the system-wide average weekday boarding rides per vehicle hour;
(b) The district board determines that direct service to the affected area is not planned for at least five years;
(c) The residents and businesses within the affected area have demonstrated that district fees and taxes have adversely affected employment, population or commercial activity within the affected area; and
(d) The district board has not received a petition signed by not less than 15 percent of the electors within the affected area seeking continuation of the districtís jurisdiction over the affected area.
(4) Notwithstanding ORS 267.207 (3)(b), the district board may withdraw the affected area from the district when the conditions of subsection (3) of this section are not satisfied if the board considers such withdrawal to be in the best interests of the district and the affected area.
(5) Any decision of the district board relating to withdrawal of an affected area under ORS 267.250 to 267.263 may be reviewed by a circuit court under ORS 34.010 to 34.100. [1987 c.799 §5]Section: Previous 267.235 267.237 267.240 267.245 267.250 267.253 267.255 267.257 267.260 267.263 267.265 267.300 267.302 267.305 267.310 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008