(1) There is created the Nursing Services Program, to be administered by the Oregon Student Assistance Commission pursuant to rules adopted by the commission. The purpose of the program is to provide loan repayments on behalf of nurses who agree to practice in nursing critical shortage areas.
(2) To be eligible to participate in the program, a nurse or prospective nurse shall submit a letter of interest to the commission. Applicants who are selected for participation according to criteria adopted by the commission under subsection (3) of this section shall sign a letter of agreement stipulating that the applicant agrees to abide by the terms of the program described in ORS 442.545.
(3) The commission shall by rule adopt, in consultation with the Oregon State Board of Nursing and the Office of Rural Health, criteria for participation in the program.
(4) The Oregon State Board of Nursing by rule shall annually identify, in consultation with the Office of Rural Health, those areas that are considered nursing critical shortage areas.
(5) Amounts paid to the commission as penalties under ORS 442.545 shall be credited and deposited in the Nursing Services Account created under ORS 348.570. The commission, in consultation with the Oregon State Board of Nursing, by rule shall allow waiver of all or part of any fees or penalties owed to the commission due to circumstances that prevent a nurse from fulfilling a service obligation under ORS 442.545. [2001 c.599 §2]
Note: See note under 442.535.Section: Previous 442.503 442.505 442.507 442.515 442.520 442.525 442.535 442.540 442.545 442.550 442.555 442.560 442.561 442.562 442.563 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008