As used in ORS 688.800 to 688.840:
(1) “Board” means the Respiratory Therapist Licensing Board, established within the Oregon Health Licensing Agency.
(2) “Qualified medical director” means the medical director of any inpatient or outpatient respiratory care service, department or home care agency who is a physician licensed by the State of Oregon and who has special interest and knowledge in the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory problems.
(3) “Respiratory care” means the treatment, management, diagnostic testing, control and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities associated with the cardiopulmonary system in accordance with the prescription of a licensed physician and under a qualified medical director. “Respiratory care” includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Direct and indirect respiratory care services, including but not limited to the administration of pharmacological, diagnostic and therapeutic agents related to respiratory care procedures necessary to implement a treatment, disease prevention, pulmonary rehabilitative or diagnostic regimen prescribed by a physician;
(b) Transcription and implementation of the written or verbal orders of a physician pertaining to the practice of respiratory care;
(c) Observing and monitoring signs and symptoms, reactions, general behaviors, general physical responses to respiratory care treatment and diagnostic testing, including determination of whether such signs, symptoms, reactions, general behaviors or general physical responses exhibit abnormal characteristics;
(d) Implementation based on observed abnormalities, or appropriate reporting, referral, respiratory care protocols or changes in treatment, pursuant to a prescription by a person authorized to practice medicine under the laws of this state; and
(e) The initiation of emergency procedures under the rules of the board or as otherwise permitted under ORS 688.800 to 688.840.
(4) “Respiratory care practitioner” means a person licensed under ORS 688.800 to 688.840.
(5) “Respiratory care services” means cardiopulmonary care services rendered in accordance with the prescription of a licensed physician and includes, but is not limited to, the diagnostic and therapeutic use of the following:
(a) Except for the purpose of anesthesia, administration of medical gases, aerosols and humidification;
(b) Environmental control mechanisms and hyperbaric therapy;
(c) Pharmacologic agents related to respiratory care procedures;
(d) Mechanical or physiological ventilatory support;
(e) Bronchopulmonary hygiene;
(f) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation;
(g) Maintenance of the natural airway;
(h) Maintenance of artificial airways;
(i) Specific diagnostic and testing techniques employed in the medical management of patients to assist in diagnosis, monitoring, treatment and research of pulmonary abnormalities, including measurements of ventilatory volumes, pressures and flows, collection of specimens of blood and blood gases, expired and inspired gas samples, respiratory secretions and pulmonary function testing; and
(j) Hemodynamic and other related physiologic measurements of the cardiopulmonary system. [1997 c.792 §1; 1999 c.885 §32; 2005 c.648 §42]Section: Previous 688.715 688.718 688.720 688.724 688.728 688.730 688.734 688.800 688.805 688.810 688.815 688.817 688.818 688.820 688.825 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008