(1) The city-county shall be a city within the meaning of state law, except ORS 221.610, 221.621, 221.650, 222.210 to 222.310 and 222.840 to 222.915. In merger proceedings under ORS 222.610 to 222.710 consent by the city-county to the merger may be given by the governing body of the city-county without a popular vote on the merger. No merger or annexation adding territory to the city-county shall change a county boundary. Annexation to the city-county of area in another county or merger into the city-county of a city in another county shall be for the provision of city services only. Territory within the city-county may be transferred under ORS 199.490 to 199.519 to a city excluded from consolidation under ORS 199.740 (2).
(2) The city-county shall be a county for purposes of Articles IV, VI, VII (Amended), VII (Original) and VIII of the Oregon Constitution and in its relationship to any city in the city-county excluded from the consolidation under ORS 199.740 (2). That relationship shall continue until the excluded city disincorporates or merges into the city-county.
(3) The city-county shall be a county in its relationship to the unincorporated area excluded from the consolidation under ORS 199.740 (2).
(4) The city-county shall have the powers and duties of counties and county officers and cities and city officers under state law and the city-county charter. The charter shall prescribe or make provision for prescribing what officers and agencies of the city-county shall exercise those powers and duties. The charter may prescribe or make provision for prescribing which duties or functions shall be county, city or jointly city-county powers.
(5) The charter may also prescribe or make provision for prescribing that state officers elected in the city-county alone shall simultaneously be city-county and state officers and have city-county functions prescribed by the charter or ordinances of the city-county.
(6) The city-county shall be both a city and a county entitled to receive funds under state and federal laws allocating funds to cities or counties or both. [1971 c.731 §10; 1973 c.745 §4; 1997 c.494 §6]Section: Previous 199.725 199.730 199.735 199.740 199.742 199.743 199.745 199.750 199.753 199.755 199.760 199.765 199.770 199.775 199.777 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008