The State Department of Agriculture shall administer and enforce the provisions of ORS 452.610 to 452.630 and 452.990 (2), and in furtherance thereof is authorized:
(1) In accordance with the applicable provisions of ORS chapter 183, to adopt rules to carry out the provisions of ORS 452.610 to 452.630 and 452.990 (2). In making such rules the department shall consider:
(a) The existence, availability and practicality of chemical, biological or other means for the control or eradication of tansy ragwort, and the effectiveness thereof;
(b) The effect on the immediate environment of the use of such chemical, biological or other means for control or eradication; and
(c) The overall benefit to be derived compared to the costs to be incurred.
(2) To cooperate with Oregon State University or any other person in the administration and enforcement of ORS 452.610 to 452.630 and 452.990 (2).
(3) To collect, publish, disseminate and furnish information, statistics and advice concerning the research, experimentation, control and eradication of tansy ragwort and the land management and cultural practices recommended for such control and eradication.
(4) Notwithstanding any provisions of ORS 279.835 to 279.855 and 561.240 and ORS chapters 279A, 279B and 279C to the contrary, to enter into contracts with Oregon State University or any other person for the purpose of research, experimentation, control or eradication of tansy ragwort, to receive and expend funds pursuant to such contracts and to employ or authorize personnel to act on behalf of the department.
(5) To rear, propagate and release biological control agents, including insects or disease organisms, and to construct, purchase, maintain and operate facilities and equipment for such purpose.
(6) To control, or direct control of, predators and diseases of biological control agents, and to limit or prohibit the movement or use of pesticides or other agriculture chemicals which reasonably could damage or injure such biological control agents.
(7) To purchase, use and apply chemical control agents, including pesticides, and to purchase, maintain and operate any application equipment for such purpose.
(8) To regulate, restrict or prohibit the movement or sale of hay, seed, other agricultural crops or residues thereof, which are found to contain tansy ragwort or seeds thereof.
(9) To limit or prohibit the collection or taking of any biological control agents from public or private lands within this state.
(10) To develop appropriate measures for the control or eradication of tansy ragwort on any lands in this state.
(11) To have access to all lands within this state to carry out the provisions of ORS 452.610 to 452.630 and 452.990 (2), including survey, control and eradication activities and the establishment of quarantines in accordance with ORS 561.510 to 561.600.
(12) To request any person owning or controlling land within this state to control, prevent the spread of, or, when feasible, eradicate tansy ragwort, and to supervise such activities.
(13) To the extent funds are available for such purpose, to employ or use personnel of other agencies of this state, including but not limited to persons acting under work-release, rehabilitation or youth programs or persons employed and paid from federal funds received under the Emergency Job and Unemployment Assistance Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-567) or any other federal or state program intended primarily to alleviate unemployment or to advance research.
(14) To establish advisory committees to assist the department in carrying out the provisions of ORS 452.610 to 452.630 and 452.990 (2). [1975 c.555 §4; 1985 c.565 §73; 2003 c.794 §283]Section: Previous 452.510 452.520 452.530 452.540 452.550 452.560 452.570 452.580 452.590 452.610 452.615 452.620 452.625 452.630 452.990 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008